We are now closed for personal retreats until the end of September when we conclude our juried residency season. However, please learn more about this opportunity below:
Saltonstall Arts Colony - Retreat Space for Artists and Writers
Saltonstall’s five apartments / studios are available to New York State-based artists and writers (this includes Ithaca!) and to past Saltonstall Fellows and grant recipients on a first-come, first-served basis for personal retreats. We require a simple statement-of-purpose - an explanation of why you'd like to use the space. There is no jurying involved.
2014 - 2015 Dates: TBA (approximately Oct. 1, 2014 - April 1, 2015)
Overnight rate: $25/night with a two-night minimum stay (check-in after 2:00 pm, check-out by 12:00 pm)
Daily rate: $20/day (week days or weekends, this rate covers a 9:00 am – 5:00 pm time period)
What we provide:
- sheets, towels, bedding, toilet paper, laundry soap
- full use of the kitchen in the main house
- a private bathroom
- wireless internet access
- tables and easels in the visual arts studios
- fully-equipped wet darkroom
- a quiet, private space in which to work
What you provide:
- all groceries
- your own transportation, including a taxi if you are traveling by bus*
- all supplies, equipment, and material you may need to work
- a 50% deposit to hold your space once dates have been agreed upon (deposits are non-refundable)
- balance of your payment upon your arrival
What we ask:
- that you respect the retreat-quality of the colony by maintaining a quiet environment at all times
- that you wash (and dry!) your sheets and towels before you check out (there is a washer/dryer just off the kitchen in the main house)
- that you keep the communal kitchen clean and swept daily
- that you take out the recycling and the garbage at the end of your stay
- that you clean your bathroom before you leave (cleaning supplies provided)
- that you leave your pets and spouses/partners at home
- that you not invite guests to visit you at the colony
* Regarding transportation: If you plan to take a bus to Ithaca, you will need to hire a cab to drive you to the colony. A one-way trip between the downtown bus station and Saltonstall is approximately $17 - $25.
The fine print: We do not currently have a cancellation policy. Since we operate on a first-come, first-served basis, your deposit secures your apartment or studio. This means that we potentially turn others away for that time period. If you arrive a day late or decide to leave a day early, payment for the full retreat period is still required.
Sound appealing? Email the director at email@example.com or call (607) 539-3146 to start the conversation.