We are now closed for personal retreats until the end of September when we conclude our juried residency season. However, please learn more about this opportunity below:
Saltonstall Arts Colony - Retreat Space for Artists and Writers
Saltonstall’s five apartments / studios are available to New York State-based artists and writers (this includes Ithaca!) and to past Saltonstall Fellows and grant recipients on a first-come, first-served basis for personal retreats. We require a simple statement-of-purpose - an explanation of why you'd like to use the space. There is no jurying involved.
2014 - 2015 Dates: TBA (approximately Oct. 1, 2014 - April 1, 2015)
Overnight rate: $25/night with a two-night minimum stay (check-in after 2:00 pm, check-out by 12:00 pm)
Daily rate: $20/day (week days or weekends, this rate covers a 9:00 am – 5:00 pm time period)
What we provide:
- sheets, towels, pillows, bedding, toilet paper, laundry soap, dish soap
- full use of the kitchen in the main house (incl. coffee maker, coffee grinder, microwave, gas stove, dishwasher, pots, pans, all dishware, utensils, etc.)
- a private bathroom
- wireless internet access
- tables and easels in the visual arts studios
- fully-equipped wet darkroom
- a quiet, private space in which to work
What you provide:
- a 50% non-refundable deposit to hold your space once dates have been agreed upon (PLEASE NOTE: if your stay is 4 nights or less, payment in full is required to reserve the dates)
- balance of your payment upon your arrival
- all groceries
- your own transportation, including a taxi if you are traveling by bus*
- all supplies, equipment, and material you may need to work
What we ask:
- that you respect the retreat-quality of the colony by maintaining a quiet environment at all times
- that you wash (and dry!) your sheets and towels before you check out (there is a washer/dryer just off the kitchen in the main house)
- that you keep the communal kitchen clean and swept daily
- that you take out the recycling and the garbage at the end of your stay
- that you clean your bathroom before you leave (cleaning supplies provided)
- that you leave your pets and spouses/partners at home
- that you not invite guests to visit you at the colony (no guests are permitted at any time)
* Regarding transportation: If you plan to take a bus to Ithaca, you will need to hire a cab to drive you to the colony. A one-way trip between the downtown bus station and Saltonstall is approximately $17 - $25.
The fine print: Yes, we know -- the upstairs visual arts studio is beautiful. However, you may not reserve this space in advance unless you are a visual artist. Sorry, writers. If you love this space, we may be able to move you into that studio when you arrive but only if it's vacant. We must reserve this studio for artists.
We do not currently have a cancellation policy. Since we operate on a first-come, first-served basis, your deposit secures your apartment or studio. This means that we potentially turn others away for that time period. If you arrive a day late or decide to leave a day early, payment for the full retreat period is still required.
Sound appealing? Email the director at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (607) 539-3146 to start the conversation.