Saltonstall Arts Colony - Retreat Space for Artists and Writers
Saltonstall’s five apartments / studios are available to New York State-based artists and writers (this includes Ithaca!) and to past Saltonstall Fellows and grant recipients on a first-come, first-served basis for personal retreats. We require a simple statement-of-purpose - an explanation of why you'd like to use the space. There is no jurying involved.
2013 - 2014 Dates: Remaining dates: December 3, 2013 – March 30, 2014. We have plenty of room left in December (Christmas at Saltonstall?), and we are open between Christmas and New Year's. January is fairly full, but if you want real quiet, February is the month to be here.
A note about February: we will be closed Sat. Feb. 15th - Wed. Feb. 19th for a special Ithaca teachers' residency.
Overnight rate: $20/night with a two-night minimum stay (check-in after 2:00 pm, check-out by 12:00 pm)
Daily rate: $15/day (week days or weekends, this rate covers a 9:00 am – 5:00 pm time period)
What we provide:
- sheets, towels, bedding, toilet paper, laundry soap
- full use of the kitchen in the main house
- a private bathroom
- wireless internet access
- tables and easels in the visual arts studios
- fully-equipped wet darkroom
- a quiet, private space in which to work
What you provide:
- all groceries
- your own transportation
- all supplies, equipment, and material you may need to work
- a 50% deposit to hold your space once dates have been agreed upon (deposits are non-refundable)
- balance of your payment upon your arrival
What we ask:
- that you wash (and dry!) your sheets and towels before you check out (there is a washer/dryer just off the kitchen in the main house)
- that you keep the communal kitchen clean and swept daily
- that you take out the recycling and the garbage at the end of your stay
- that you clean your bathroom before you leave (cleaning supplies provided)
- that you leave your pets and spouses/partners at home
- that you not invite guests to visit you at the colony
- that you respect the retreat-quality of the colony by maintaining a quiet environment at all times
Sound appealing? Email the director at email@example.com or call (607) 539-3146 to start the conversation.
The fine print: We do not currently have a cancellation policy. Since we operate on a first-come, first-served basis, your deposit secures your apartment or studio. This means that we potentially turn others away for that time period. If you arrive a day late or decide to leave a day early, payment for the full retreat period is still required.